The increased overall economic status of people nowadays has led to the consumption of highly processed food which has negative effects not only the overall health but also on oral hygiene.
- Unhealthy diet
- tobacco use
- harmful alcohol use
- poor oral hygiene
These are all considered risk factors for oral diseases.
7 Tips For Dental Hygiene: Kids – Read More
Food items falling in the category of highly processed food:
1. Breakfast cereals
2. Carbonated drinks, sugary drinks like coffee, energy drinks, and weight maintaining powders
3. Items made using all-purpose flour such as chips, cookies, and bakery items like cakes, muffins, and brownie mixes.
4. Premade foods containing preservatives
5. Frozen meals such as pizzas and pasta
6. Energy protein bars and chocolates
7. Sweetened dairy products such as milk powder, chocolate drinks, flavored yogurts
Such highly processed and ultra-processed food have hydrolyzed proteins, colouring products, bulk products, preservatives, and thickening products.
All these contents which are present in processed food items decrease the pH of the oral cavity and make an acidic environment that adversely affects oral hygiene leading to cavity formation and gum issues. Not only the oral hygiene gets hampered but also the overall health such ad cardiovascular health gets compromised.
Tobacco chewing: Tobacco consumption has been associated with lifestyle changes because of the stressful working environment. Tobacco leads to staining and bad breath. Gum problems are also associated with tobacco chewing.
Read more: Tobacco and It’s Effects on Oral Health
Stress: The most underestimated reason for orofacial pain is stress. Due to a stressful lifestyle, there is a constant tension in the oral musculature and temporomandibular joint. Sometimes stressful lifestyles may lead to people turning towards tobacco chewing and alcohol consumption leading to poor oral hygiene.
Choosing a proper lifestyle indirectly affects the future of your oral hygiene.
Read more: Diabetes and Oral Health
What to do to maintain your oral hygiene through proper and healthy lifestyle activities:
1. Brush twice daily. Use a soft bristle brush and brush in a circular motion for not more than 3 minutes.
2. Gargle every time you have any sticky food such as chocolates.
3. Avoid tobacco and alcohol. Also, reduce the intake of high sugar products
4. Have a rich fiber diet.
5. Adopt the habit of Flossing
6. Visit your dentist twice a year for regular dental checkups.
Find clinic here: Get direction
Address: 11/11 Akurdi Chikhli Road, Near Dwarka Collection, Kasturi market, Sambhaji Nagar, Thermax Chowk, Below nutan Jewellers, Chinchwad, Pune, Pimpri-Chinchwad, Maharashtra 411019